You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. ~Ray Bradbury~

18 January 2011

New Year, New You

Ok, so last year was a total bust, writing-wise. I didn't meet ANY of my 2010 writing goals and only two of my non-writing goals. I had an AWESOME time visiting my families in both Maine and Kentucky and I joined a gym, but I have only made infrequent appearances at said gym. I've also been seriously lacking in the blogging department.

I did, however, finish my first NANOWRIMO!!! I haven't finished the story, but I made it past the 50k mark before midnight on November 30th!!! This was my third NaNO, but my first win. It felt great, made me feel like the year wasn't a total waste.

This year, my darling Night Owl over at The Unhero's Journey has made me promise to write 1500 words a day starting today. Any words that do not get written will be added to the next day's total and so on. This equals approximately 525,000 words for the year. Today and today only, updating my blog will count towards my word count goal. Too many people have been bugging me about my blogs, and the hours in the day keep slipping away!!!

So here's the goals for 2011:

Writing Goals

1. Write at least 1,500 words every day for a total of 525,000 words this year. Stories, poems, MS, songs, all count toward my word count goal. I will give myself leeway in my daily word count, taking into account several weddings, 2 High School graduations, a baby birth, a memorial service, and a cross country road trip. A few words less here, some more there, you get the picture.

2. Clean up my writing space, so I can have some semblance of order to write in. This will help in the successful completion of #1.

3. Look more deeply into freelance writing and opportunities available. Talk with the pros, research, figure out where I can go with my "talent."

4. Finish and polish up NaNo novel, get it ready for submission.


Non-Writing Goals

1. Help Roommate find a new job.

2. Clean up and weed out our clutter. Organize, rearrange, make our living space more...liveable.

3. Work out. Gym, pool, home, whatever it takes to lose the weight. I'm aiming for at least 2 pants sizes, and 1 shirt size, minimum. Don't ask for numbers, cuz I'll never tell... ;)

4. Find a summer job in Maine, so I'm not a total bum for 3 months. Start saving a little at a time.

5. Bankruptcy. Enough said.

6. Become a full tithe payer. The Lord blesses those who are obedient...or so I've heard...

7. Get my sorry butt back into college!!!! Get in gear toward getting my degree.

8. Visit Canada while I'm back East. There are some wonderful people that I just need to hang out with in person (you know who you are)!!! This also requires getting my butt in gear and applying for a passport.


Whew!! Ok, so maybe my goals are a little unbalanced this year, but I've got to get a lot together before I can make my life work. I'm hoping that this will be a better year than last.

What are your goals for 2011???

~KK~

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so even if you didn't meet your writing goals overall, you experienced some things to celebrate. Good for you! And good luck in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eee nice!! :)
    One thing I was thinking though is that maybe blogging should count towards the daily word count because I like reading your blog. :)
    I don't think 2010 was so shabby at all! It was grand. And I love your nanowrimo. :) it's excellent. Actually I recently bumped into a book I think you should know about, but now I've forgotten the title. Ah, sad...
    Okay I'll let you know if I can remember/get to that bookstore and bump into it again. :P

    Happy 2011 again. Can't wait to visit with you!! :) <3
    ~Night Owl

    ReplyDelete